Starting Local, Eventually National
It takes a particularly remarkable dog to work reliably with a child on the autism spectrum. A dog with the appropriate temperament and size is necessary for this program. Ultimately, Dogs for Better Lives is excited about expanding the number of people they help and the lives they touch.
Southern and Central Oregon
At this time Dogs for Better Lives is actively seeking clients/families ONLY in the following Oregon counties: Deschutes, Lane, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, and Klamath. We’re seeking applicants ages 4-11 for the Autism Assistance Dog program. Over time we hope to expand the program across Oregon, then the western United States, and eventually across the country.
Autism Assistance Dogs are trained to:
- apply deep pressure
- act as an anchor to reduce or slow a child’s ability to bolt
- provide companionship solely dedicated to the child
Some of the benefits of having an Autism Assistance Dog are:
- a calming effect on the child
- can help the child with the bonding process
- bring public awareness
- act as an anchor allowing the caregiver to react faster
- can have a calming effect on the caregiver
- Training generally takes four to six months of temperament evaluation, obedience training, and socialization. The dogs are taught using positive reinforcement.
- When ready for placement with an approved applicant, the trainer travels to the client’s home for one-on-one training with the client and all caregivers.
- Placement training is generally five to seven days in length.
- Dogs for Better Lives provides follow-up training for the life of the team. This training includes guidance and suggestions consisting of verbal contact, written contact, and in-home visits.
What does an Autism Assistance Dog cost?
There is a $50.00 application fee. When an applicant has been approved to receive an Autism Assistance Dog, we then require a $500.00 refundable Good Faith Deposit. This deposit can be refunded after the team has been together for one year. Once the dog is placed with the client, they are financially responsible for the ongoing care of the dog.
How do I apply for an Autism Assistance Dog?
At this time, Dogs for Better Lives is actively seeking clients/families ONLY in the following Oregon counties: Deschutes, Lane, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, and Klamath. We are seeking to place Autism Assistance Dogs with children on the autism spectrum, ages ranging from 5 to 12 years. Over time we hope to expand the program across Oregon, then the western United States, and eventually across the country.
For inquiries, please fill out the below form. You can also contact Client Services at (541) 826-9220 or email email@example.com.